Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Google Earth




My grandfather, being the extremely helpful and generous man he is, called me last night to inform me about a news broadcast he’d seen on ABC. (There is now an online story as well.) It was about a new program google is doing in association with the US Holocaust Memorial Museum to demonstrate the atrocities in Darfur.

This is by far one of the most interesting things I’ve come across so far. I’m sure many people have heard of google earth. A program that allows you to zoom in on any place in the world almost. It’s like a giant map at your finger tips! I have often used it just goofing around, but I spent a while looking over the new set up they have with Darfur.



There are now icons on villages in Darfur that have been burnt down and destroyed. The falme icons allow you to zoom in on the area. But also, the US Holocaust Museum have set up little bubble of information that pop up as well. There are statistics about that village and also links to obtain more information.



I highly suggest everyone checking this out. It’s free to download and fun to use. However, the sights I saw in the Darfur villages were troubling, to say the least. Especially when I can then type in my address in Maine and see where I live. To compare neighborhoods isn’t even possible. Nothing is the same. And yet these are two places that co-exist in the

No comments: