Monday, January 29, 2007

Brian Steidle

Today I tried looking for more ideas/ information to give a good expansion to this blog. I came across an account by a man named Brian Steidle. He is a former US Marine and has written this account and taken photos that I think captures the scene very well, though it is horrifyingly disturbing.

I was sitting here earlier contemplating how much my Monday's suck and how I was putting off adding another blog post, we are required to do four to five a week. When I read this account and looked at these pictures I couldn't help but think what a girl my age in Darfur would give to be in my shoes on this so wretched a Monday.

Anyway, the story is definitely worth looking at. I also would like to point out the photo aspect of Brian's job. We have been discussing in class how hard it is, ethically, to take photos in times of such despair. I think Brian gives a good example of this when he is taking pictures of the dying girl.

The account, though from 2005, gives some good historical background too. I am going to try and get more information on the Arab militia Janjaweed groups (rebel groups causing atrocities) and have that posted later in the week.

I want to warn that if you do decide to visit the link (Brian Steidle) and read the account, the atrocities Brian describes are heartbreaking, so be prepared.

No comments: