Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Where I stand...

Many people are not aware of what is actually going on in Darfur. I am not fully informed either. As a journalism student I am very interested in what's going on in the world, but I find what I often want to be most educated about is not obtainable through the major news fronts. As a human being, I am very interested in helping people and I want to do so, at least, in educating a few more people.

I want to use this blog as a learning opportunity for myself as well as others like me that are interested. The atrocities that are occurring in Darfur that I have heard of are very disturbing and include genocide, ethnic cleansing, and, most disturbingly, rape of women and girls. Who's fighting? Specifically, again, I do not know. I know it is a group from the regional area that are attacking mercilessly on the innocent in the region. Some of the pictures I have seen of the displaced are hard to register. I cannot imagine what it would be like, for example, to wake up one day and have my whole village burned to the ground, many I know brutally murdered, and forced away without any shelter or personal belongings.

3 comments:

prof_matson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
prof_matson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
prof_matson said...

Let's try this again - here is a Boston Globe story from today


Story