Sunday, March 25, 2007

Ann Curry, Terrorism, Sudan, and the US government


I found this MSNBC story to be very interesting. Clearly I like Ann Curry and the involved work she has done and is doing with the Darfur crisis. This is a behind-the scenes type interview in which she talks with Sudan president Omar al-Bashir and Andrew Nastios, U.S. special envoy to Sudan. Throughout the video she is in Khartoum, which is 500 miles from Darfur.

There is also a video on this page, which is basically the same as the article only a much more entertaining, presentation with some great photos. It’s also easier to understand. There is a short introduction in which we also learn that this is the fist interview the president of Sudan has done in years.



The article is a little foggy. However, what I get from it is that the US government is working with the Sudan government to get information about al-Queda members who are traveling to the Middle East from Sudan. I really liked how Curry approached the topic with the relation to what the US is doing with terrorism vs. what the US is doing in Sudan. Though it’s not put out there as strongly as I would have wanted.

The following is the short Q and A with Nastois.

“Curry: So they are providing information on al-Qaida to us?

Nastios: Yes.

Curry: And are we working with them?

Nastios: Yes.

Curry: Is that driving American policy in Sudan?

Nastios: Absolutely not.”


I think she’s making a good point with this, or attempting to anyway. I think she should give more detail to what exactly she means. Maybe it’s just because I don’t understand the article in depth enough, I don’t know.
Tensioons between the US and the Sudaneese government are still there. Which has been something the two governments haven’t been able to, quite literally, do anything about.

“But despite our intelligence relationship, U.S. officials tell NBC News that diplomatic efforts with President al-Bashir to end the Darfur crisis are not working. The United States is now planning stepped-up economic sanctions against Sudan.”

This paragraph seemed so vague to me and made me a little upset. What action are we exactly taking? And by planning do they mean they are getting around to it to take action some time next year? I think more answers from the US government are in order.

I will be discussing the two other story links in this blog throughout the week.

No comments: