Wednesday, March 14, 2007

France

I am finally bringing attention to this article my aunt sent me a month ago now! This is a Boston Globe article that discusses a recent settlement between African nations in France about the crisis in Darfur.

This article was a little confusing for me. Sadly, I don’t understand politics all that way. For example, I had no idea that Sudan, Chad and the Central African Republic were accusing each other for supporting rebels.

I am glad they had a meeting to make an end to this violence, but it seems a little sketchy and unrealistic, especially since now there hasn’t been much more news on it. Then again, there never is that much news on Darfur.

I did not like this sentence,

“France and other powers fear the Darfur violence is spilling over and could engulf the entire region.” I thought it was an ignorant statement because this is already started to happen.

However, I did like this statement by United Nations in New York, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon,

“’I am very much disappointed by the decision of the Sudanese government,’ Ban said. ‘I urge again that the Sudanese government fully cooperates with the unanimous decision of the Human Rights Council’ to send a fact-finding team to Darfur.”

I agree with this statement, but I think action should be taken to enact it.

No comments: