Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Genocide Intervention Network article





For today I want to talk about a specific area on the genocide intervention network website. First off I would like to say that immediately after I posted Ann Curry’s recommended links, they immediately posted a comment letting me know that they’d be willing to answer any questions I had.

There is so much information offered through the website. I am going to try to come back to it and discuss more of the attributes that make this such an informative and helpful source on Darfur.

Today I wanted to discuss an article I immediately linked to after viewing the home page. The article is about Americans demanding action in Darfur. I thought this would be a good focus for the day’s blog because I have been so negative throughout my blog about America in general not being involved.

The first paragraph is as follows:
“According to a December Genocide Intervention Network poll, a majority of Americans now see ending genocide as a high foreign policy priority. Despite the predominance of Iraq and terrorism in US media and foreign policy discussions, we now have proof that strong majorities feel that the United States should take action to bring about peace in Darfur, and favor doing so in cooperation with the international community.”

I thought that summed it up the point of the article.

There is then a link to another page that discusses the poll results. The most impressive statistic I thought was that 62% of Americans believe that Darfur should be a priority. If you think about it in numbers, that’s almost two times our president’s approval rating.

Also, 80% of Americans, or 4 out of 5, feel that educating students on genocide is mandatory.

These results are very impressive and I urge anyone who takes the time to read this to get all the statistical data off the poll results link mentioned above. Hopefully the numbers can soon mean more than just percentages and have more and more voices to speak them to the nation and the world.

No comments: