Sunday, February 25, 2007

Ann Curry (Chad)

I have been looking through all of Ann Curry's links and have found some very useful information. Including this blog, which I will talk more about in my next post. For today, I wanted to talk about a specific article I found titled "Darfur's violence and sorrow spreads to Chad." I know I made mention of Chad in a previous post.

The article is about what Curry saw in Chad, but I feel it is also a good example of what's going on in Darfur. The Q & A type article starts out kind of slow. It's basically saying what's happening is bad and sad. But then she starts to discuss in a little more detail and gives examples of what she has been seeing.

Curry sums up the violence in one story of a 17-year old girl who was gang raped. The images I think of that she describes make me queasy. At 17 I couldn't get enough of boys. I can't imagine what this girl feels towards men now; let alone what she feels in general.

My favorite section from the article was the following two paragraphs. I love how she worded it and related the situation.

"This is a different kind of ugliness that mirrors what we saw in Rwanda and what we saw in Kosovo and Bosnia. It is evocative of the hatred we saw during the Holocaust.

That’s why so many American Jews and other religious leaders have been pushing to get the U.S. government and the world to do more to stop this kind of shame. There is a sense in America that when people say “never again” that it should stand for something. So, they are pushing hard to do something about it."

I still think there should be more photos because they tell the best stories, but this article was very moving.

No comments: