Wednesday, February 21, 2007

MSNBC

I personally love MSNBC.com. Mostly because while I was bored in the computer lab for many of my journalism classes, I would surf their website. The have fun things like SuDoKu, your horoscope and the week in pictures. They always have great pictures. As a matter of fact, I get most of my world news from those pictures. They have little captions that give the bigger story to what is being shown.

They also have world sections, including one for Africa. In this Africa section there is another section dedicated to Darfur. I am going to be looking around this section and discussing it more in my next few posts.

For today, I wanted to mention the slide show they have as part of that section. It's on the right hand side of the Africa page a little ways down. I could not directly link to it, but it is off the Africa page mentioned above. I found the pictures to be so moving and emotional. My favorite is photo number 10. There is a big tree with many displaced people under it. The tree reminds me of the tree from the Lion King, the tree of life. It's a symbol I relate with Africa. The fact that all these displaced people are using the tree for shelter is such a powerful and symbolic picture to me.

The caption says they are in a Chadian village and I wanted to point out, that Chad borders Sudan to the left, and as I mentioned before Darfur is the western region in Sudan. Many of the displaced move out to these areas, where they are still not always safe.

No comments: